Re: cp "skipping file ..., as it was replaced while being copied

On Apr  8 17:01, Charles Wilson wrote:
user@machine /k/path $ cp bob fred
cp: skipping file `bob', as it was replaced while being copied

cp checks the inode numbers before and after, and it seems the inode
numbers on this drive are not persistent.

[...]
user@machine /k/path $ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe /k
Device Type        : 7
Characteristics    : 10
Volume Name        : <programs10>
Serial Number      : 2684354574
Max Filenamelength : 255
Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
Flags              : 4004e
   FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : FALSE
   FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
   FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
   FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
   FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
   FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : TRUE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
   FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
   FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : TRUE
   FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
   FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE

user@machine /k/path $ mount -m
C: /c ntfs binary,posix=0 0 0
F: /f netapp binary,posix=0 0 0
H: /h netapp binary,posix=0,user 0 0
K: /k cifs binary,exec,posix=0,user 0 0
         ^^^^
Drive K: is not recognized.  It's *some* drive, claiming to be NTFS, but
not being NTFS, and the rules to recognize Samba drive don't match either.
What kind of drive is that?

It's a netapp Distributed File System. "K:" is mounted from a specific (fairly deep) subdirectory, which -- IIUC -- is a specific volume assigned to my project team, but it's under the umbrella of the overall DFS manager.

It's actually mounted directly by my fstab.d/$user file as:
K:/ /k netapp  binary,posix=0,exec 0 0

This is odd, because my "S:" drive is mounted to the top of the entire DFS structure, in my /etc/fstab file:
S:/ /s netapp  binary,posix=0 0 0

Stranger still, my "F:" drive is mounted to a direct child of the DFS structure:
F:/ /f netapp  binary,posix=0 0 0

So, summarizing:

==== Windows mount definitions: ====
S: = \\dfs.server\data
F: = \\dfs.server\data\Apps
K: = \\dfs.server\DATA\General\MyProject
(no, I don't know why the case difference)

==== cygwin fstab definitions: ====
S:/ /s netapp  binary,posix=0 0 0
F:/ /f netapp  binary,posix=0 0 0
K:/ /k netapp  binary,posix=0,exec 0 0

==== cygwin mount -m report: ====
S: /s ntfs binary,posix=0 0 0
F: /f netapp binary,posix=0 0 0
K: /k cifs binary,exec,posix=0,user 0 0

(I don't have write permission in the F: area, so I can only test S: and K:)

===== S: =====

user@machine /s/Programs/public/user $ ls -l bob
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 user group 21 Apr  9 10:06 bob

user@machine /s/Programs/public/user $ getfacl bob
# file: bob
# owner: user
# group: group
user::rw-
group::rw-
group:root:rwx
mask:rwx
other:r--

user@machine /s/Programs/public/user $ cp bob fred
<success>

===== K: =====

user@machine /k/Users/user $ ls -l bob
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 user group 21 Apr  9 10:11 bob

user@machine /k/Users/user $ getfacl bob
# file: bob
# owner: user
# group: group
user::rw-
group::rw-
group:root:rwx
group:SYSTEM:rwx
mask:rwx
other:r--

user@machine /k/Users/user $ cp bob fred
cp: skipping file `bob', as it was replaced while being copied

Apart from that, try to mount the drive with the ihash mount option.
Does that help?

$ mount -m
K: /k cifs binary,exec,ihash,posix=0,user 0 0

user@machine /k/Users/user$ cp bob fred
<success>

Appears to help. Still confused as to why various subelements of our netapp DFS hierarchy map to different fs types in the mount -m output, even though the fstab entries for all of them say netapp...but I can live with that.

--
Chuck