Re: Cygwin manpages clobbered

On 5/10/2013 17:19, Linda Walsh wrote:
the PDF code font is less than optimal..

The current doco PDFs are generated through dblatex, via xmlto. I don't know if it's possible to reach through two generators to affect final output fonts.

I suspect part of this is due to the weirdness of fonts on *ix systems in general. You wouldn't expect dblatex to be able to go and grab, say, the native Consolas font from Windows. And even if someone did the work to make that happen, it would fail when you built the manuals on Linux.

I know how to fix this when you generate PDF from DocBook via XSL-FO (e.g. xsltproc and Apache FOP) but that brings in its own bag of problems. For one biggie, all the XSL-FO processors depend on Java.

I've added an item to look into this to the new winsup/doc/Wishlist file.