Re: offline cygwin install question

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:35:29AM +0900, wynfield@gmail.com wrote:

>Ask Microsoft if Microsoft XP 32 bit code will run on Microsoft 64 bit systems.
>Should work. But, not a good idea.

Of course it will work.  32-bit Cygwin was the default for fifteen years
or so.  It was the only alternative for 64-bit systems.

(Yes, I know that some rare 64-bit systems don't run WOW64 and so 32-bit
binaries won't work)

I'd suggest something like:

>From the CMD prompt:

u:				# or whatever your usb device is
tar -cjf cygwin.tar.bz2 -C / .	# back up everything
ldd /bin/tar.exe		# note cygwin dlls
cp /bin/tar.exe /bin/cygwin1.dll <whatever other dlls tar needs> .

Then put the usb stick in the other system and:

u:
./tar xjf cygwin.tar.bz2 -C /cygdrive/c

I haven't tried this but something like the above should work.

This won't reinstall any services that you've started or create any desktop
icons.  You'll have to do that by hand.  Or, maybe just run setup.exe, do
a local install, and don't install anything.  Just wait for the end dialog
which asks if you want to set up the icons.

cgf