Re: Failure with fork()

On 2013-06-27 21:00+0200 marco atzeri wrote:

Il 6/27/2013 8:35 PM, Alan W. Irwin ha scritto:
Are there daily snapshot builds of the CVS version I could access?

daily not, but on reasonable schedule
(aka when Corinna or Christopher release one)

http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

just wait for the next cygwin1-20130xxx.dll.bz2
and replace the installed cygwin1.dll with the new one

I haven't even gotten as far as an initial install because
of this fork bug.

From the Linux command line here is what I did some time ago (for a
wine-git version very close to wine-1.6.0-rc1 and for (presumably) the
latest stable release of setup.exe downloaded from
http://cygwin.com/setup.exe) when I first ran into the fork bug:

wineconsole setup.exe

The setup GUI fired up, I went through all the screens without issues, but
then the final screen completely bombed out due to this fork bug.  Any
attempts to use setup.exe afterward failed immediately (presumably
because that aborted last screen of the GUI did not complete some
critical task.)

So I think I have to do a complete installation from
cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2, and assuming that contains setup.exe,
run that version from wineconsole to obtain a a Cygwin system where I
select the further packages I need to have installed (the build tools
as well as some important library dependencies such as pango, cairo,
and Qt4) so that I can build further software on the Cygwin platform.
Do you agree this is the right approach?

Also, I think the current snapshot actually does contain
the fork bug fix, but I have asked for confirmation of
that in my last post.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science