Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: screen 4.1.0-20130513-1

Andrew Schulman writes:

> Hm.  Thanks for pointing this out.  It isn't anything I meant to do.
> Looking now in the screen source, I see that there are two sample screenrc
> files: etcscreenrc, and screenrc.  etcscreenrc is supposed to be a sample
> /etc/screenrc, and screenrc is supposed to be a sample ~/.screenrc.  The
> diff is at http://www.diffnow.com/?report=iz5ex .
>
> Neither of those files has exactly the termcapinfo line you cited, but
> screenrc seems to have most of the capabilities in it, in xterm lines.

This is not what I see in the distro.  Both
   screen-4.0.3-7.tar.bz2
and
   screen-4.1.0-20130513.tar.bz2

have only etc/default/etc/screenrc

and install that in /etc

and the diff between these two is as I sent it:

 diff -bw [4.0.3/]etc/defaults/etc/screenrc [4.1.0/]etc/defaults/etc/screenrc
12d11
< defflow off   # leave this off, so we can save in *emacs
68,70d66
<
< # Set the hardstatus prop on gui terms to set the titlebar/icon
title
< termcapinfo xterm*|rxvt*|kterm*|Eterm*|cygwin
hs:ts=\E]0;:fs=\007:ds=\E]0;\007

> I don't mind installing screenrc instead of etcscreenrc as the global
> /etc/screenrc, if it's got better functionality in it OOTB.  I'd appreciate
> it if you'd test it first though, especially with mintty, and let me know
> what you find.  I'll do the same, but I override most of that stuff in my
> ~/.screenrc, so it may not make much difference for me.

I don't think the .screenrc sample I see in the diff you pointed to
should be the /etc/screenrc.  But it's not in the distro in any
case, and the relevant line
  termcapinfo  * '' 'hs:ts=\E_:fs=\E\\:ds=\E_\E\\'
doesn't work for me if I try it in place of the one I show above from
4.0.3

So, it's up to you whether you add the sample .screenrc to the distro,
but I still think the right thing to do is just to revert the deletion
of the termcapinfo line from /etc/default/etc/screenrc

Any other users out there care to contribute their experience?

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk