Cygwin, python and abspath()

Hi,

Does anyone know why os.path.abspath() in python on cygwin is creating
invalid path names when given these cygwin compatible dos path names?

$ pwd
/cygdrive/c/temp

$ python -c "import os; os.path.abspath('/cygdrive/c/temp')"
/cygdrive/c/temp

$ python -c "import os; os.path.abspath('c:/temp')"
/cygdrive/c/temp/c:/temp

I have cmake generating the dos compatible path names and they work with
all other cygwin utilities that I've used.

And wouldn't it be nice if cygwin would not allow creating files and
directories named "c:"...

-Mikko