Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 01:52:59PM -0400, Tom Honermann wrote:
>On 07/25/2013 01:18 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> Could you elaborate?  Prior to 1.7.21, strace provided the command line.
>>>   As of 1.7.21 it doesn't.  That looks like a regression to me.
>>
>> The output that you're looking at says "Here's the command line that is
>> being passed to CreateProcess".  Since there is now no command line the
>> strace output is correct.
>
>How does that make it not a regression?  The information used to be
>provided, now it isn't.

You're reporting a problem "process command lines for Cygwin process no
longer viewable..." The problem occurs because a bug was fixed in cygwin
which erroneously caused those lines to be filled out.  The strace
output was previously reporting those lines being filled out.  Now it is
correctly reporting that the lines are not filled out.  It is accurate.

If you were relying on strace to show you the concatenated argv output
then you can't do that anymore for cygwin processes.  Sorry.  You'll
have to get that information from the "build_argv" lines in the execed
process.

>From a user's perspective, I don't care what the implementation is.

And from a developer's point of view when a user is trying to look at
strace output and not understanding it, then that indicates to me that
they don't understand the underlying code.  strace in cygwin is much
more detailed than strace on linux.  It is mainly intended as a
developer's tool for people who understand the code.  It contains names
of functions and variable names and hexadecimal output indicating
addresses.  You have to know what this all means.

cgf