Re: checkX problem or misunderstanding

Larry Hall wrote:
> > Re: checkX
> >
> >    $ checkX --version
> >      run2 0.4.2
> >
> > checkX doesn't work as I understand the description below:
> >
> > "DESCRIPTION
> >         Determines  if  X is installed, Xserver is running on specified DISPLAY
> >         and will accept clients. Returns 0 if yes, nonzero otherwise"
> >

> > Environment / Procedure to duplicate the error:
> >
> >   - I have an X11 server running, started in pty0, where I will test checkX
> >
> >   - In this pty0, I start an X11 server, which from the xinitrc starts up another mintty
> >      terminal, pty1 with Display environment variable set to :0
> >
> >   - Testing checkX in pty1 (which has DISPLAY set) returns a 0 or successful result.
> >     checkX :0  --> returns 0
> >
> >   - Moving back to pty0 and running the same command with the same argument gives:
> >     checkX :0  --> return 1 and error condition or no server available.
> >

> > However, if I simply manually set DISPLAY=:0 in pty0   X11 clients will run.
> >
> > -  export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
> > -  checkX :0  --> Nnw reports an o.k. this server is useable.
> >
> > If one relied on checkX the runing server would be missed.  It is doing
> > nothing that a check if DISPLAY var is set or not andn then possible
> > testing it.  It should has used the value :0 I sent it and do some X11
> > stuff I am not aware of.
>
> Perhaps we're misunderstanding your confusion here.  Can you explain what
> about Chuck's description of checkX at the link below isn't clear?
>
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-08/msg00009.html>
>

> --
> Larry

It is clearly written in my message, in fact in imported it from the checkX documentation. What part of the problem I'm describing is not clear to you?

"DESCRIPTION
         Determines  if  X is installed, Xserver is running on specified DISPLAY
         and will accept clients. Returns 0 if yes, nonzero otherwise""

In fact:
  checkX  :0   returns a false when, but the X11 server on :0 will accept client requests.

Exporting DISPLAY=:0 and running emacs, for example, demonstrates that X11 is available and accepting clients.