Trying to solve my cygheap base mismatch issue

Hi All,

One morning last week, after 11 months of flawless cygwin-ing,  I was
suddenly unable to create a cygwin terminal on my Windows XP (SP3)
installation. The window would launch and then quickly close.  Ive dug
through the mail Archives and attempted the following suggestions:

  - ensure no extraneous cygwin1.dlls are around
  - launch cygwin.bat in a cmd shell (look for errors, yes cygheap
base mismatch errors)
  - try a recent update refresh via setup.exe (did that,now at 1.7.23
but still broken)
  - use listdlls.exe tool to see where dlls are based at (i think this
is telling me cygwin1.dll got bumped from its original 0x61000000 address)
  - move rebase.db.i386 aside and then rerun setup.exe ( tried that
but i dont see a new rebase.db.i386 get created when i do this)

The state of my installation is such that I cant run 'rebaseall'
successfully. (Even from a dash.exe shell it fails with the
cygheap base mismatch error too.)

Im going on day 4 now with my problem and hoping dearly I can revive
my installation.

Ive attached data that includes:
  - cygcheck -s -r -v output, slightly redacted.
  - listdlls.exe tool data output while a dash.exe shell is up and running
  - rebase -is output,  ran in a dos cmd shell , shows many address
collisions  (*)

Thank you all for your work on this fantastic platform, and for any
suggestions to get around a cygheap base mismatch condition.

Tony