Re: mt and tar fail on LTO-5 drives

On Aug 20 13:57, bartels wrote:
> >>...or the *partition* is at its end.  Something occured to me this
> >>morning.  Are you using used tapes, rather than fresh ones?  Are the
> >>tapes you're using partitioned, by any chance, maybe because LTFS
> >>partitions the tape in two partitions, one for the files and one for
> >>metadata?
> >>
> >>This would explain the low capacity you see in mt status output.  If the
> >>tape is partitioned, the capacity returned by GetTapeParameters is not
> >>the size of the entire tape, but the size of the current partition(*).
> >>And partition 0 is probably the metadata partition.
> >>
> >>This also explains why you get a supposedly early ERROR_END_OF_MEDIA.
> >>The partition is just not bigger.
> >>
> >>Try this:
> >>[...]
> >     $ mt -f /dev/nst0 setpart 0
> >     $ mt -f /dev/nst0 status 2
> >     $ mt -f /dev/nst0 setpart 1
> >     $ mt -f /dev/nst0 status 2
> >
> >I wrote the setpart and mkpart commands before mt on Linux had them and
> >naturally they are now using different strings.  I'll have another look
> >into mt to make it more compatible with mt on Linux.
> >

> Well, Corinna, you really saved the day. I missed the partition stuff completely.
>
>     $ mt -f /dev/nst0 status 2
>     drive type       :       56 (STK 9840)
>     tape capacity    : 1419369472 KB remaining        : 1324161024 KB
>     current file     :       -1             active partition :        1
>     current block    :       -1             cur logical block:   195351
>     General status bits on (1090000):
>       ONLINE IM_REP_EN HW_ECC
>     min block size   :        2             max block size :   524288
>     def block size   :   131072             cur block size :        0
>     density code     :       58 (Ultrium LTO-5)
>

> Thanks, I think we can close this one!

Glad to read that.  You could do me a favor, though.  At the moment I
have no tape drive on any Windows machine for testing.  Can you please
test the new `partseek' command in mt 2.4.0 which I announced a couple
of minutes ago and see if it does what it advertises in `man mt'?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat