Re: xorg-server package no longer installs start menu icons?

On 16/09/2013 23:02, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> On 16/09/2013 2:45 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> On 12/09/2013 18:02, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>>> Subject line says it all...
>>>
>>> (I thought this came up before but either I remembered wrong or my Google-foo
>>> is weak today).
>> These start menu links aren't installed by the xorg-server package, but by the
>> xinit package.  WFM.
>>
> Ah... that worked. Xinit just didn't install by default when I pulled
> xorg-server.

This is intended.

To do otherwise would lead to an incorrect, circular dependency.  xinit
depends on xorg-server (as you must have a server to start for it to be
useful), but xorg-server does not depend on xinit (as you could start it some
other way, e.g. from the command line)

I guess it would be nice if we had an 'X' virtual package which just depended
on xinit for people who don't read documentation...