Re: [x86_64 on W7] Cannot remove cygwin root directory

On 10/16/2013 8:19 AM, Frédéric Bron wrote:
There is an upstream packaging bug that caused two copies of the README file
to be installed, one of which is called "README." (including the dot).  I
guess Windows is confused by whatever Cygwin does to allow file names to
include a dot.  But you can delete the file from a Cygwin bash shell.

Thanks a lot. I reinstalled a minimum cygwin in another directory and
could rm -rf the old cygwin root directory.
This is strange that cygwin can remove something Windows cannot...

Not at all.  Historically, going back to 8.3 DOS file name days, the "dot"
wasn't stored as part of the name.  So "name" and "name." were the same.
"cmd.exe" still maintains compatibility with this historical behavior.
However, Cygwin uses an API that makes the distinction, so "name" and
"name." are different.

--
Larry