Re: fstab not automounting...

On Oct 18 00:00, cygwin wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote at about 17:19:29 +0200 on Thursday, October 17, 2013:
>  > On Oct 17 10:55, kosowsky wrote:
>  > > Corinna Vinschen wrote at about 11:38:46 +0200 on Thursday, October 17, 2013:
>  > >  > On Oct 17 01:49, kosowsky wrote:
>  > > Yes - I would have thought this would work -- but neither rebooting
>  > > nor stopping all cygwin processes and shells serves to get my fstab
>  > > read.
>  > > I need to manually run 'mount -a' each time -- which completes without errors.
>  > > I know I didn't need to do this in Cygwin 1.7 x86.
>  > > I am now running Cygwin 1.7.25 x64
>  > >
>  > > Any thought on what could be preventing fstab from working
>  > > automagically.
>  >
>  > No, WJFFM.  There's some sort of mismatch, either in the username or in
>  > the paths.  Did you just copy /etc files from your 32 bit to your 64 bit
>  > installation, perhaps?
>  >

> Ahhh... silly me... I figured out the problem...
> I used a (soft) link for /etc/fstab -- it works just fine once cygwin
> is launched but obviously it fails during startup.

That makes sense.  For POSIX symlinks to work, you need the mount table,
which is a chicken/egg problem in case of the fstab files, so Cygwin
opens the fstab files using NtCreateFile.  OTOH, a native symlink will
work:

  # Run shell with "Run as administrator"
  $ rm /etc/fstab
  $ CYGWIN=winsymlinks:native ln -s /path/to/your/fstab /etc/fstab
  # Exit all Cygwin processes and restart some shell
  $ mount

Corinna

Red Hat