Re: gcc-4.8.2-1: /bin/gcc fails

Greetings, Charles Wilson!

>> On Nov  2 23:54, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>>> So, while I'm not convinced that this is a huge issue overall, if
>>> "don't do that" isn't good enough, the easiest workaround is to
>>> configure GCC with --libexecdir=/usr/lib.
>>
>> That would be the safer option, I guess.

> My about-to-be-uploaded inetutils update puts the servers in libexecdir
> aka /usr/libexec/ -- and changes the /etc/defaults/ associated xinetd
> and inetd.d configuration files as appropriate.  'Course, my
> to-be-written update announcement will be a horrific, as current users
> with customized configuration WILL have to modify their files (and setup
> doesn't have an .rpmsave/.rpmnew mechanism).

> The currently-distributed version (and associated xinetd scripts and
> sample inetd.d/ configuration files) puts them in /usr/sbin.

> If --libexecdir=/usr/lib, then...what?

> Should I revert to /usr/sbin for slave servers?

What "slave servers" you're referring to?
The discard/daytime/stuff? They belong to /usr/libexec as per
http://www.linuxbase.org/betaspecs/fhs/fhs.txt as not intended for
manual/direct invocation.

> Use $libexecdir but "know" that it is going to be /usr/lib and configure
> appropriately?  I'm confused as to how to proceed here.

> Frankly, I've never understood the distinction between / and /usr in a
> cygwin setup.  It makes a certain amount of sense on a "real" OS, but
> for us?

Original idea of /usr is to separate "core system" or "strict POSIX" stuff
from "mostly used/user-preferred" stuff. I.e. you may have a standard POSIX
grep in /bin that lack PerlRE support, and "full-featured" grep in /usr/bin.
And no one get hurt.
But, because Cygwin setup is inherently "user", there was no distinction at
any time (at least as long as I remember it).

> Why not replace the /usr/bin = /bin and /usr/lib = /lib, and the
> oncoming trainwreck of additional "relocatability" expansions for
> libexec and share, by simply doing:

>     /usr = /

That would only mess with the POSIX spirit of the Cygwin. IMHO.

> ?  Or is there something in windows-land (like shortcuts in the start
> menu) that would be broken by this?  Are we worried about shadowing /etc
> and /usr/etc (or /home and /usr/home)?

This, among other things. Also, circular reference to /usr/usr/usr/usr/usr/...

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...