Re: Problem with latest setup-x86.exe

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 13:31:31 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>I appreciate your looking at the source code but given what you changed,
>I don't understand how what you did would fix that.  If your changes
>were really necessary then something would have to be seriously wrong
>with mscvrt handling of argv strings.  That points to a problem on
>your system, not in the code.

Perhaps, but I would have no idea how to figure out problems with mscvrt.
I found the problem by just using gdb on the setup.exe built
without the __argv fix.  __argv was always a null pointer.
(Since __argv seems to be a definition, I always had to look
at the results of invoking __argv when using gdb).
When looking at how _argv was handled, it looked like that was
the thing to use, so when I tried that, the pointers were all fine.
So, if in fact the original code is correct, I don't know how to
find out what changed in mscvrt.  Previous versions of setup-x86
seem not to have this problem for some reason.