Re: procps 3.2.8 on 64-bit Cygwin with Windows 8.1 displays "Unknown HZ value!" message

On Nov 21 14:13, casem wrote:
> Hello, I just reinstalled the latest 64-bit Cygwin yesterday on my
> Windows 8.1 machine. I installed the new procps 3.2.8-1 package as
> well (thanks for making it available for 64-bit). Now when I run any
> procps commands, I get this message:
> "Unknown HZ value! (632) Assume 1024."
>
> Versions:
> $ uname -srv
> CYGWIN_NT-6.2 1.7.25(0.270/5/3) 2013-08-31 20:37
>
> $ procps -V
> Unknown HZ value! (632) Assume 1024.
> procps version 3.2.8
>
> How can I fix the 'Unknown HZ value' problem?

I don't know why this happens.  It doesn't happen for me.  The cause is
a piece of code in procps which does not trust the HZ value given by the
header files to reflect the frequency used in files under /proc (because
of Linux, btw.), but rather calls a couple of functions to generate a
HZ value on the fly.  If the computed value doesn't fit into various
ranges, the above message is printed.  On my 8.1 64 bit machine, the
computed value is always 1000.  This is an expected value and thus I
never see the "Unknown HZ value" message.  I have not the faintest
idea why your system returns a different value.

However, since we know for certain that Cygwin always uses the HZ value
1000 in /proc file content, we could skip this function and just use the
well-known HZ value from sys/param.h.  I'll release a new procps with
this patch soon.

Corinna

Red Hat