Re: Cygwin installation scope

On 1/5/2014 11:48 AM, Gerry Reno wrote:
Is there a way to install Cygwin such that it would only be accessible
to  Users within a specific Windows Group?

Right now you either get it just for the installing user or for All
Users.   We would like access to be limited to a Group.

setup*.exe's option for current/all users has more to do with setting up
the services to permit changing the user context.  It's not meant as a
feature to implement some kind of security.  In other words, setup*.exe
does not support limiting access to particular users.

I could restrict permissions on C:\cygwin but will that interfere with
running Setup if we want to update packages?

It shouldn't so long as individuals that run setup*.exe have access to
the installation location.  Using Windows security is really the only
way to enforcing the kind of security I believe you're looking for here.

And then what about the desktop and start menu icons in all the other
User's desktops who aren't in the Group?

You'd need to remove these after the fact.

--
Larry