Re: Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives

Greetings, Damian Harty!

> I've just realised that in my new place of employment, my Windows 7 64 Bit
> laptop isn't seeing the network drives under cygwin the way it used to "by
> magic" in my old place of employment.

> I can mount them using, amazingly, the mount command - or make this
> "permanent" in the /etc/fstab file:

>     H:   /cygdrive/h ntfs binary 0 0
>     Z:   /cygdrive/z ntfs binary 0 0

> I can test that it works:

>     % mount
>     C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
>     C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
>     C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
>     H: on /cygdrive/h type unknown (binary)
>     Z: on /cygdrive/z type unknown (binary)
>     C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

> ...which is lovely, except that it doesn't work as advertised:

>     % cd /cygdrive
>     % ls

>     %

> Q1: Is there something else I need to do after mounting it?

No.

> Q2: Why doesn't it automatically mount the network drives?

It does.

$ ls -ld /?/*
ls: cannot access /?/*: No such file or directory

$ ls -ld /a/*
drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Jun 26  2012 /a/Android
drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Nov  5 10:58 /a/Info&Txt
drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Jun 12  2012 /a/Mac
drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Sep  2  2009 /a/Story

$ ls -ld /z/*
drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------          0 Nov  7 00:16 /z/bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 AnrDaemon ---------       2390 May 30  2012 /z/ca.cer
drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------          0 Feb 28  2011 /z/crontabs

A: and Z: are network drives, indeed.
The "C" in your /cygdrive/ (and the /cygdrive itself) are just folders you
created for some random reason.
They shouldn't be there.

> I looked at the FAQs and googled and googled, all I got were repated
> descriptions of the mount command, having read all of them I am still
> missing something.

> Thanks in advance,

> Damian
> CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this email communication is

Please remove this crap from list mails, thank you.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...