msmtp 1.4.31-1 failed name resolution

Hello,

I'm running Cygwin 1.7.28 (x86_64) under Windows 8.1. (cygcheck output
is attached.)

I'm running into a strange problem with msmtp 1.4.31-1. Whenever I run
it, once it has an email address as an argument, it reports:

"msmtp: cannot locate host <hostname removed>: Non-recoverable failure
in name resolution

msmtp: could not send mail (account default from /home/joss/.msmtprc)"

(<hostname removed> is the appropriate hostname in the original output.)

The configuration is relatively standard, and I've stripped down the
config file to the most basic possible options to try and isolate the
error.

No other programs have any kind of error with name resolution. I can
ping the relevant smtp server, and telnet to the appropriate port on it.
(The server is working when accessed from msmtp in my Linux install.)

This also occurs for any other server I put into ~/.msmtprc. The error
also occurs if I put an IP address rather than a hostname into the
~/.msmtprc. I've tried running from a shell with elevated privileges,
just in case, to no effect.

This occurs with the msmtp package from cygwin, and also from a version
of msmtp built from source. In the source build I've tried with IDN
enabled and disabled, as I saw a few #ifdef's in the relevant areas of
the code. (Also because the closest thing I could find to this error and
cygwin was some changes to getaddrinfo() with relation to IDN support.)

My only guess, based on the same problem occurring when putting an IP
address directly into the config file, is that the hostname is somehow
not being parsed correctly, but I just can't see how. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Joss

--
Joss Wright | @JossWright