Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> This is a pretty intrusive change, in need of some serious testing, so
> I'd like to ask for volunteers.  The latest 2014-02-13 snapshot from
> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ contains the changes, including the latest
> bugfix.

I've tested the 2014-02-19 snapshot at work.  Two problems:

1. Running "id" takes 13 seconds to fetch my 440 group memberships
(possibly there are some users that would be in ~10x as many groups).
Caching doesn't seem to be effective for this since the next several
invocations of "id" take the same time.  During most of that time you
actually can't ^C the process, lsass is growing a few dozen threads and
seems to be talking to the DC.  Falling back to use just the /etc files
makes this work really fast (much faster than without the snapshot).

2. I use a few volumes on NetApp filers that have security set up so
that you can't change attributes.  That means POSIX permissions are
always listed as "0000".  I uausally mount these noacl, but when I
access them via their UNC path (for instance when Windows runs a script
from a CWD on that volume, then Perl reports false for file test
operators (-x, -w) other than existence.  Backing out the snapshot
reverts to the previous behaviour of these test operators correctly
determining that my effective rights (via normal and extended security
attributes tied to a group memberships) are sufficient.  The shell
(bash, tcsh) test operators work correctly, but I don't know what Perl
is doing differently.  This is independent of whether I use just the
/etc files or full AD lookup (switched via /etc/nsswitch.conf) and
currently a showstopper for me.  I've booby-trapped a few checks to
always return true and the actual creation of directories and files then
succeeds (as it has always done), but I can't just pull out every one of
these from all scripts.

Regards,
Achim.