Re: Octave package database update

On 27/02/2014 16:54, Jonas.Hagen metas.ch wrote:
On 26/02/2014 19:46, Marco Atzeri  wrote:
On 26/02/2014 14:26, Jonas.Hagen metas.ch wrote:
Shouldn't  the package database update be done at
installation time of the package from the Cygwin setup,
rather than on every start of octave?

I do not agree here, for two reasons:
Firstly I do not expect a setup to be fast. I expect it to set up everything
and make it ready to use. I have spent a few hours until I found out how
to solve this issue. A few minutes more for the setup would not hurt.

You missed a point, the update through setup could fail to
start octave. Octave has a very very large list of dll's to load.
I consider it more likely than your case.

I will add a note on README for next octave package,
if I do not find a better solution

Could you check if changing permission with

chmod 666 /usr/share/octave/octave_packages

the situation improve ?

Yes, this helps if the octave_packages file has already been created.
But as a user, I would appreciate a more convenient solution.

What do you think about the my proposal above? Could it even work?

At begin, I was thinking something like that, but I dropped it:

- High chance to fail during post install
- problematic behavior during remove
- hard to synchronize
- 1 script only versus more than 50 post-install script

Thanks for your explanations!
Regards,
Jonas

Regards