Re: Possible bug with chere 1.4 when configuring for fish

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 0:35, Dave Kilroy wrote:
> On 07/04/2014 13:02, Ronald Fischer wrote:
> > I have installed fish 2.1.0. Works fine, when invoking a new fish shell
> > manually.
> >
> > However, when doing a
> >
> >     chere -ifcm -t mintty -s fish
> >
> > and invoke the new fish shell from the Windows Explorer context menu, I
> > get plenty of error messages, like this:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> Thanks for the report.
>
> I've just checked my x86_64 and x86 installation. Things are working on
> my installation as I have c:\cygwin\bin on my standard windows path.
> When I remove it and invoke fish, I get the errors that you highlight.
> Similarly when echo'ing $PATH under the broken fish, /usr/bin is not one
> of the entries.

Indeed: Once I'm adding the cygwin bin path to my windows system
environment, it works, so this is at least a temporary workaround (on
the long run, I don't want to have the cygwin path permanently set on
this machine).

> I need to have a play around to see how I can fix this, but I thought
> cygwin prepended /usr/bin to the path...

I don't think "cygwin" by itself changes the path. It certainly doesn't
change the Windows system path (as defined in the "Advanced System
Settings" for Windows).

However, when I start a bash shell, /usr/bin is part of the PATH. This
happens inside /etc/profile. But this file is not always processed; This
depends on how bash is started. You can see the detailed rules in the
bash man-page, in the section INVOCATION.

My guess is that when doing a chere -2 fish, you start via bash in a way
that /etc/profile is not read.

As for chere -1 fish, I suspect that this will never work, unless the
user has put the Cygwin bin path into his system PATH. Maybe in this
case, chere should output a warning message.

Ronald
--
Ronald Fischer <ronaldf@eml.cc>
+  If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,