Re: Problem with "None" Group on Non-Domain Members

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On May  5 11:23, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
In both cases, I am logging on to the machine with a "Microsoft
Account": http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/account/default.aspx

Hmm, maybe that's the problem.  This "Microsoft Account" stuff might
influence how the underlying OS handles permissions.  I would never
touch this stuff ;)

I don't blame you. And I don't think you can use them on a machine that's a member of a domain, but I could be mistaken there. They're local accounts, but definitely with a twist. I was pleasantly surprised that ssh didn't choke on them, but I didn't really suspect it as a root cause for file permission issues, or I would have mentioned that in my very first message.

For testing you could try to create a normal local account, add it to
/etc/passwd and run the above under this account.  If it behaves
differently (correct, that is), it's a something weird with these MS
accounts.  But then again, I wouldn't know how to "fix" this, other
than to suggest to use a normal account instead.

Bingo. I had just such an account already. It works as expected, i.e. correctly.

Could we "fix" it by allowing the user to set their default group? As I said in my original message, changing the group from None to Users in /etc/passwd solved my problems.

Of course, if we don't really understand these accounts, then we don't know why that solved my problem, or if the same thing would work for someone else. Hmmm. Never mind.

Nah, at this point we really don't know why this happens on your machine
and it could easily be somebody elses fault.

An strace of `chmod 400 bar' might sched some light on this issue, but I
have a gut feeling the underlying WIndows call will not even return an
error code...

Attached. Your gut seems to be working today...

--
Chris J. Breisch