Re: Why do I need Cygwin for Yeoman?

At Friday, July 4, 2014, 5:01:48 AM, Clare Sudbery wrote:

> Hi

> I know this will seem a very facile question, but I have checked Google
> and searched your archives, and I can't find the info I am looking for.

> I am currently working through a Yeoman tutorial (here:
> http://yeoman.io/codelab.html).

> I am a .NET MVC Windows developer with JavaScript front end experience,
> but I have never used Linux or Yeoman.

> The tutorial recommends using Cygwin as a command prompt ("Most of your
> interactions with Yeoman will be through the command line. Run commands
> in the Terminal app if you’re on Mac, your shell in Linux, or Cygwin if
> you are on Windows.").

My  guess  is that they want consistency for their tutorial. For all I
know they actually have bits of the tutorial that depend upon being in
a Unix type shell.

> I had never heard of Cygwin before, so I assumed it was just an enhanced
> command prompt. I see from the home page that Cygwin is used to do Linus
> dev in a Windows environment. I have no plans to do any Linux dev, but I
> thought I may as well use whatever tools were being used in the Yeoman
> tutorial. So I downloaded Cygwin... and it took several hours!

It shouldn't take that long. I hope that you didn't download the whole
thing.  I  would start with a base install, and add things if you find
out that you need them.

> At the very end of the Cygwin download, my anti-virus software (Avast)
> blocked an infected file
> (hxxp://box-soft.com//x86_64/release/imlib2/libImlib2_1/libImlib2_1-1.4.5-2.tar.bz2|libImlib2_1-1.4.5-2.tar|usr\lib\imlib2\loaders\tga.dll)
> so I had to finish with "download incomplete".

Sounds  like  a  problem  with  your  anti-virus  software. You should
disable it while installing Cygwin.

> Nothing has been installed. After such a gigantic download, I am wary of
> running the setup exe - given that I thought I was just installing a
> command prompt.

It shouldn't be a gigantic download.

> Do I actually NEED Cygwin to use Yeoman? Can I just install a Cygwin
> command prompt and leave the rest?

I  don't  know the answer to the first question, but the answer to the
second  question is no. However, you can install just the base system.
That's what I would recommend.

--
 Chris J. Breisch