Re: using make without cygwin terminal

Rob,

You need to setup your environment paths to include both the compiler's include and libs directories as well as the targeted platform sdk, if you're using one.

I use a custom tool chain with Cygwin/GNU Make in my build system with support for every version of Visual Studio, including 6.

Here is an example of the required paths:

Includes:
vs6/vc98/include
vs6/vc98/mfc/include
vs6/vc98/atl/include

Libs:
vs6/vc98/lib
vs6/vc98/mfc/lib

Visual Studio 6 is compatible with the Windows platform SDK up to "Windows Server 2003 R2 Platform SDK", but you shouldn't need it.

Your shell environment will need to be setup for both the compiler (cl.exe) and the linker (link.exe). See here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa236630(v=vs.60).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa270757(v=vs.60).aspx

Matt D.