Re: missing read-only files uuid and boot_id

On 08/18/2014 03:46 AM, Dr. Alexander Kleinsorge wrote:
> Hi Cygwin team,
>
> to be more compatible to Linux environment, cygwin should provide 2 more
> virtual files:
>
> The read-only files uuid and boot_id contain random strings like
> 6fd5a44b-35f4-4ad4-a9b9-6b9be13e1fe9.
> The former is generated afresh for each read, the latter was generated
> once.
>
> they could be easy provided and filled using /dev/urandom

It's only random if the BIOS does not have a known string.  In the case
of Windows, I highly suspect that we are likely to be able to find a
known UUID that we should use instead of a random number.  Especially
since on Linux, the uuid file matches what dmidecode says was reported
by BIOS, and there has been a lot of care taken into providing
persistent uuid information to virtual machines precisely because
Windows is so picky about hardware validation (the machine uuid reported
by BIOS is one of the pieces of information Windows uses to tell if it
has been installed on new hardware).