Re: vim can't write /etc/hosts

Greetings, Frank Fesevur!

> On my Win81 machine I tried to edit /etc/hosts with vim. When I try to
> write the file I get this error:
> "/etc/hosts" E166: Can't open linked file for writing

> Since /etc/hosts is a symlink to
> /cygdrive/c/windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts so I tried to edit the
> file with the full path but that fails as well:
> "/cygdrive/c/windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts" E212: Can't open file
> for writing

Adding to what other people said, most self-respecting antivirus applications
explicitly block access to system hosts file.
For obvious reasons.
If you absolutely NEED to modify it, and can't resolve your issues in any
other way, disable hosts file protection first.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...