Re: Problems on case-sensitive file systems

Am 23.10.2014 17:36, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
On Oct 23 14:42, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Am 22.10.2014 16:00, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
On Oct 22 09:01, Thomas Wolff wrote:
I'm facing a number of issues with case-sensitivity which I've collected:

There is a documented limitation on case-sensitivity using drive letter
paths,
also mentioned in https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2013-08/msg00090.html
(last item). I vaguely remember seeing a reason for this limitation in some
mail but can't find it again. I think it would be good to remove this
limitation because it breaks user expectations when working on
case-sensitive drives.
The user expectation when using DOS paths is caseinsensitivity in the
first place.  But, as usual, there's no way to do this right, since
somebody will have another POV.  My stance is, don't use DOS paths when
using Cygwin.  At leats don't use DOS paths if you have any expectations
about special POSIX path handling on Cygwin.
I use an application that uses Windows or mixed paths, I cannot influence
it. So while I understand your POV, it would still be helpful to have path
interpretation fully-featured. (If you point me to a place in winsup, I
might even try to do something myself.)
I'm not going to apply a patch to do that.  DOS paths get no special
treatment, they are always handled with DOS/Windows defaults.
Any last chance to get a distinction here between X:\dos\paths and X:/mixed/paths?

According to documentation, the posix mount flag is enforced to be the same
for all mounts below /cygdrive; is there a strong reason?
Yes.  The flags are shared between all cygdrive paths.  If you need
something else, don;'t use the cygdrive path, but another, manually
added mount point.  Note that this:

  none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0
  D: /cygdrive/d ntfs binary,nouser,posix=1,noumount 0 0

does NOT work.  The manual paths must not overlap with the cygdrive
paths.
I know and I did use a different path (maybe too similar to get
recognized...). But it does not seem to work properly:
I have now this in /etc/fstab:
C: /mnt/c ntfs binary,nouser,posix=1,noumount 0 0
T: /mnt/t smbfs binary,user,posix=1,noumount,auto 0 0
Drop the noumount and it will work.  noumount is an unknown mount flag
and, FWIW, not documented in
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table
Ah! Thanks.
That reminds me of that other problem I had previously observed but forgotten:
mount does not report option errors...
Also:
mount suggests this problem itself by reporting that very unknown option when running just 'mount'
And as a last, minor issue:
mount does not work on relative paths (like it does on Unix/Linux) but needs an absolute path:
mount /mnt/c # works
cd /mnt; mount c # does not work
------
Thomas