RE: TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.8

<snip>
> > I just realized that deleting the /etc/passwd file in existing domain
> > systems may change usernames, which will break cron and other programs
> > that use files named after usernames. Also the (local) privileged
> > username will change.

> Yes.  Is there a way to accommodate that?  Maybe a postinstall script
> checking for existing user cron files and renaming them if required?

That's possible but it must be a postinstall than runs when an updated
Cygwin is installed (or deinstalled), not when cron is, except if we try to
synchronize both.

> The privileged user name shouldn't matter much after configuration.

Agreed, but see below

> For now I have made the following changes to cron-config:
>   calling getent
>   checking if /etc/passwd exists
>   dealing with the extended names for privileged users (they may
>   contain a +, don't use EREs)

> I just scanned it quickly, but the change looks good.

OK. Do you want to produce a test release for the crons?

<snip>

> Note also the discussion with Christian starting at
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-11/msg00095.html

I am fine with the prefix but there is something we should agree on about
the special
privileged names like cyg_server.

What I did is to create an entry for them in /etc/passwd. The reason is that
the shell
is changed to /bin/false and I don't want to deal with setting that in the
Windows
databases (I can't test all possible variations).
Now when we create a passwd entry, we can include the prefix, as I did, or
remove it.
csih and the other similar scripts should agree on that, otherwise they may
reuse
the privileged user (based on the Windows database) but create different
passwd entries.
Of course removing the prefix can create a conflict with a cyg_server domain
user.

Pierre