Re: RFC: 1.7.33 problem with user's home directory

One big vote for the '/etc/nsswitch.conf' idea.  I think the truth of
the matter is that enterprise environments are way too dynamic (and
inconsistent) to attempt to satisfy the majority of configurations
with any particular default ordering assumption.

Another user brought up a good point about desire for Cygwin to
operate in 'read-only' mode -- something that I'd also really love to
see addressed.  The need for /tmp and /var/log to be 'writable'
results in some problems in a high-security environments.  This became
especially noticeable with Cygwin 64-bit because Windows does not
automatically redirect write attempts to %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore.
Anyhow, that's probably left to a different conversation for a
different day...