Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> On Nov 11 10:02, Ken Brown wrote:
>> Of course, this still doesn't solve the problem of making sure that the
>> _autorebase postinstall script runs whenever the user installs a package
>> containing DLLs.  I wonder if we should reconsider Achim's proposal.  If I
>> understand correctly, it is something like this (oversimplified):
>>
>> 1. Change autorebase.bat to do an incremental rebase instead of trying to do
>> a full rebase.
>>
>> 2. Arrange for autorebase.bat to never be marked as "done".
>>
>> Achim, please correct me if my oversimplification distorts your suggestion
>> too much.
>
> Achim, can you give a management summary how your proposal works?

As Ken already correctly summarized, the autorebase postinstall script
will never be marked as done by setup.exe, so it will be run on each
install or update.  The incremental part ensures that this step doesn't
take too much time if there's nothing to do.  Currently this is based on
the name of that script, but it could be done differently.  The other
part is that all "perpetual" postinstall scripts are run before any
normal postinstall scripts, so these can assume to run in a correctly
rebased environment.

A slightly modified variant of the same mechanism could be used for
those infodir, icon cache and fontconfig updates, which should probably
be run after the normal postinstall scripts.  I think I've sent Ken a
sketch doing this from within a postinstall script for the texlive
packages, but providing some support from setup.ini and setup.exe for
stratified postinstalls (pre-post and post-post :-) would make this much
more robust.  I haven't yet coded up anything in that direction, though.

If you're wondering what happens when you've just installed a fresh
Cygwin: the perpetual rebase postinstall scripts detects the situation
and bails out, while the normal postinstall script does the initial
rebase (and is marked "done").  Which means we have to fix the
dependency problem anyway.

Incremental autorebase packages and patched setup.exe available on
request.

Regards,
Achim.