Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.34-002

On Dec  8 15:14, Warren Young wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2014, at 12:49 PM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>
> > - Cygwin can now generate passwd/group entries directly from Windows
>
> This is huge, Corinna!
>
> It must have been a lot of work, and while I personally will not
> benefit much from this â donât use AD here, and /etc/passwd suffices
> for my purposes

You can still benefit, I hope.  Even when using only the local SAM, the
process startups should be a tad bit faster than when every exec'ed
process has to read /etc/passwd and /etc/group files:

  $ cat > /etc/nsswitch.conf <<EOF
  passwd: db
  group: db
  EOF
  $ exit
  <restart your terminal>

Give it a try!

> â itâs one of those things that should obviously be
> done.
>
> Congratulations on getting this into a shippable state.  I realize it
> isnât formally released yet, but youâve gotten it over the hump where
> it must be compiled out of release binaries.  I assume this is one of
> those situations where the last 10% of the work takes 90% of the time.
>
> Congratulations!

Thank you very much!  I started to implement this stuff in January 2014
and the formal release will hopefully be in January 2015, so, yes, all
in all, it was a lot of work.  Especially the documentation :}

Corinna

Red Hat