RE: Strange problem running Cygwin installer

Thanks for the help. It turns out that rebooting the machine solved the problem, oddly enough.

Just in case the information is useful to you, here are my responses to your questions/comments:

1. I also found that the installer ran fine on my desktop machine but not on the server-class machine where I needed to install cygwin.

2. No CPU activity, and total CPU used also 0, for Cygwin's setup process. Only minor activity (0% to maybe 2% CPU) for all other processes combined.

3. Nothing in the anti-virus logs. Scanned, no virus found. Problem still occurred with the anti-virus software (Symantec) turned off.

4. "do you see the UAC prompt when running Cygwin setup?" Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

5. "Are you running from an account where you would expect to be able to run with elevated privileges?" Yes

6. "Can you run the setup executable as Administrator?" Yes, and using "Run as Administrator" made no difference.

7. "I assume that there is no taskbar entry for Cygwin setup when you observe this behaviour" That is correct.

Kevin S. Van Horn, Ph.D. | Principal Engineer