Re: Backwards compatibility

On 01/04/2015 06:31 AM, Laurens Blankers wrote:
Of course this question doesn't come out of the blue. It is triggered by the
release of xinit 1.3.4-1 last month, which breaks setups for many people. If
you like you can check the cygwin-xfree mailing list. Unfortunately the
responds from the package maintainers has been: The way it has worked for
years was a bug, your setup is wrong. Which would be fine if there was
documentation on how to do this, or even a way to do this, but there is
neither. There seems to be a general unwillingness among the maintainers to
acknowledge that user experience matters.

Before you ask, yes, I did post this to the cygwin-xfree mailing list.
However I am not getting anywhere there. So I am interested in the thoughts
of the wider, beyond X11, Cygwin community on backwards compatibility.

As I mention in my response to the cygwin-xfree thread you're referring to
here(<https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2015-01/msg00008.html>), you
haven't been conversing with package maintainers.  I believe that the
statements you've made above which you say came from maintainers are ones
you're attributing to me.  And as I asked you before and do again in my
response in that thread and here as well, please don't attribute statements
that I didn't make to me.  The statements you make don't represent my
views, it's not polite to misrepresent another's views, and doing so
doesn't advance your cause.  Beyond that, I won't re-iterate
any comments I made in that thread other than to say I agree that any
discussion of this as a policy should happen separate from any discussion
about the xinit package and it's most recent release.

--
Larry