Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.34-003 (Christmas/New Year release)

On Jan 13 12:02, Achim Gratz wrote:
> [using the 20150113 snapshot already]
>
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > The leading slash is in integral part of the "path" scheme,  The above
> > is not recognized as valid entry at all.
>
> It doesn't work differently now that I've added the slash, though.  To solve
> the problems with the server one must re-start both cygserver and sshd after
> changing the configuration.  I think it's only cygserver, though, so is
> there a signal that one can send to have it invalidate the cache and re-load
> the configuration like some daemons on UN*X do?

No.  How often do you change such a central setting as the db_home
setting for all users?

> In any case, the code seems to prefer the mapped drives.  I don't know how
> it arrives there, an AD user having a mapped home / roaming profile has the
> UNC path available as the homedirectory attribute and the drive latter to
> map to is the homedrive attribute.  These two attributes are missing from
> accounts that only have local user profiles.

I thought it's clear how Cygwin does it.  Here it is:

  Is homeDrive non-empty?
    If yes, convert to POSIX and use as $HOME.
    If not, is homeDirectory non-empty?
      If yes, convert to POSIX and use as $HOME.
      If no, ask the local computer for the user's profile directory.
        If it has one, convert to POSIX and use as home dir
        If not, fallback to /home/$USER.

> This is problematic for two reasons: it brings in the standard posix=0 mount
> option via the cygdrive prefix

...which you can change in /etc/fstab.

> and when trying to log in via SSH onto a
> server the drive mapping is not established unless that user has a desktop
> session open on the server.

Right, but there's nothing Cygwin can do about it.  It means, you can't
use this db_home setting if you use ssh sessions, or you use password
authentication (real, or via passwd -R) and mount the drive in a profile.

Btw., what about my TMP/TEMP question?

Corinna

Red Hat