Re: slow startup after upgrade

On Feb 18 22:01, Roger Orr wrote:
> > > and also it no longer opens 14
> > > TCP/IP sessions to various ldap servers around the planet (!)
> >
> > Uh, that might be the result of the other changes which don't open an
> > LDAP connection to fetch group info.  14 connections probably means,
> > you're in 14 groups in other domains than your login domain.
>
> There weren't any other LDAP requests logged (I was testing with the first
> patch 1.7.35-0.1 that reduced the time for running "echo.exe" from 120s to
> 4.5s) so I don't think it was related to another query.

When you start a Cygwin process from a non-Cygwin process, Cygwin will
try to generate passwd entries for your account, as well as group
entries for all groups in your token.  For the group entries it only
needs LDAP calls if a group is in another domain than your login domain,
and the request only goes to your own DC.  This entire set of LDAP
calls are supposed to share the same LDAP connection.

I don't know what Windows is doing under the hood, but in theory there
should only be a single socket open for this.

> I may be able to
> test this out again tomorrow and get the call stacks of the connect calss.
>
> Incidentally how can you tell the patch level of cygwin1.dll -- the DLL
> versions all seem to be 1007.35.0.0 ?

The versioning system isn't able to handle subversions.  As marco wrote,
uname -a (the build date or uname -v) can be used to distinguish the
versions.

I'm planning to change that at one point.  It shouldn't be too hard
to add the subversion to the DLL properties.  uname -r is a problem,
though, since the info already takes 18 of 19 allowed characters...

Corinna

Red Hat