Re: Cygwin version numbers [Was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.0.0-1]

On Apr 12 16:15, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> On 11/04/2015 11:35, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >The version number is  2.0.0-0.1.  Yes, we're going full Torvalds with
> > the release numbers and bump them to 2.0.  In future, bugfix releases
> > will bump the last number, new feature releases will bump the middle
> > number.
> >
> > Bugfix?  2.0.1, 2.0.2, ...
> > New features?  2.1, 2.2, ...
>
> Does this mean the version number distinction between the GPL and propriety
> versions of the Cygwin DLL are disappearing?

There is no propriety version of the Cygwin DLL.  The distinction (the
idea being about 15 years old) was only for the sake of being able to
identify the upstream from the supported version.  The supported version
will just get an own subversion and a marker, along the lines of
"2.0.5rh".

> IIRC it's currently the case
> that version 1.<even> indicates a closed-source license version, and 1.<odd>
> indicates a GPL-licensed version.

There are no Cygwin versions for which the source code isn't available,
While, technically, a third party can purchase a GPL buyout for their
own, proprietary product, the Cygwin sources are always freely available.

Corinna

Red Hat