"R" help leaves out lines of text

I am ramping up on the R statistical analysis environment.  I find that the
help leaves out entire lines of text.  The pager is /usr/lib/R/bin/pager.
I changed it to /bin/less, but I see the same symptom.  The problem shows
up both in xterm and mintty.  The computer is in a locked down environment,
so a straight update of cygwin packages is not an option.  From the R
forum, the problem might be due to improper handling of line endings by the
R port to cygwin.

Is there anything further I can try to circumvent the problem?

My version info is:

   64-bit Cygwin DLL version 1.7.28
   R version 3.0.1-1