Re: From Microsoft: Windows 10 Console and Cygwin

On 4/29/2015 3:01 PM, Rich Eizenhoefer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm the Program Manager at Microsoft for the updated Windows 10 console. I searched the Cygwin FAQ and mailing list archives for issues related to Windows 10 and found an item about multiple windows which should already be fixed. We have received a couple reports about crashes when running on Windows 10 with the new console enabled. For example:
>
> "cygwin is dying when i run a bunch of the git tools. For example: >grep -rin log .\ 0 [main] us 0 init_cheap: VirtualAlloc pointer is null, Win32 error 487 AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x68570000, RegionSize 0x3A0000, State 0x10000 C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\grep.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap, Win32 error 0"
>
> Please let me know if there are other problems you are experiencing with the W10 console that are a regression from previous versions. We are a small team, but we want to help where possible to ensure that Cygwin continues to run well in Windows 10.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich
>
> --

Windows 10 has given me satisfactory results with cygwin64 (although I'm
more likely to run git under 8.1).  This is a welcome change from the
days when Microsoft personnel stated that bugs reported primarily by
cygwin users would not be fixed even when they could be reproduced
outside cygwin.

--
Tim Prince