Re: Problems with screen on Windows 10 Preview system

Greetings, Stephen John Smoogen!

>> Either Cygwin sets the group permissions in the POSIX permission
>> attributes to the same value as the user permissions, e.g.
>>
>>   rwxrwxr-x
>>
>> then security-sensitive POSIX applications will complain that the
>> permissions are too wide-open.
>>
>> Or, Cygwin sets the group permissions to 0, e.g.
>>
>>   rwx---r-x
>>
>> Then, apparently, screen complains.
>>
>> There would be a third way, which is, to spill the "other" permissions
>> into the group permissions, in my example:
>>
>>   rwxr-xr-x
>>
>> That should work, but needs YA patch to Cygwin and needs some testing.
>> Bad timing right now (vaca).
>>
>> Workaround:  Set the primary group to the affected files explicitely to
>> an existing group which is in your user token.  That would typically be
>> the group "users", e.g.
>>
>>   chgrp users /tmp/uscreens
>>
>> should work, and then you can chmod it and screen should stop
>> complaining.
>>

> Thank you for answering while you are on vacation. I am going to see
> if a /etc/passwd and /etc/group entry to better fix that long term.

I think, http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nsswitch-desc
will be a better way to go. Assuming "MS accounts" work the same way.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...