Grepping Unicode files?

uname says "CYGWIN_NT-6.1 machinename 1.7.35(0.287/5/3) 2015-03-04 12:07 i686 Cygwinâ.
Iâm running grep 2.21.2, which cygcheck -c says is OK.

Does Cygwinâs grep support Unicode files? The output from a SQL Server SQL Agent job is a Unicode file, i.e. if you look at it in a hex editor every other character is 00 because each character is taking up two bytes. The filename itself is fine, itâs the contents that is Unicode. I canât get grep to work on it, either with or without -a.

This may not be a Cygwin-specific question, but I havenât been able to find anything after several Google searches, including the archives, and neither --help nor the man page for grep references Unicode.

By default I have neither LC_ALL nor LC_COLLATE set.

A pointer to a better search or a website that explains this would be great, or if it canât currently be done, thatâs OK, too.

Thanks for your help!