AW: emacs-w32 24.5.1: Crashes with --daemon and in "About Emacs"

Ken,

thanks for your quick reply. Regarding the problem with emacs --daemon I
should have given the following background:
1) The commands in my listing (it was actually an attached text-file - which
automagically got inlined into the posting) need to be executed in that
sequence, i.e. emacs --daemon needs to be executed before executing
emacsclient - then emacsclient connects to the emacs-server and does not
give the error you got. IFF the environment-variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR is set
but empty (="") then one can actually omit the call to emacs --daemon as
emacsclient does it on its own. This IMHO is the best usage-pattern: Always
call emacsclient which starts emacs (with --daemon) on its own if necessary.
2) I use the setting (server-use-tcp t) in my .emacs init-file to switch
from the default socket connection-method to TCP - which allows the official
emacsclient (which cannot use local sockets due to MinGW limitations) to
connect as well. On the other hand emacsclient still seems to default to the
socket-connection, so it gives an error-message "emacsclient: can't find
socket; have you started the server? ..." - but then connect via TCP anyway.
So without this setting (the default) that particular error-message would
not appear.

Can you re-produce the error now? My suspicion is that since emacs --daemon
right after start-up does not have any open frame, so when called by
emacsclient (without the -c option which creates a new frame) it tries to
open a window on a console-terminal - which it does not have.

Regarding the crash in About Emacs on the second machine I did a clean
re-install but get the same error - so it could be specific to the Windows
XP (yes, I am ashamed to admit it) configuration on that machine. How could
I go about analyzing this, maybe using the stackdump and/or debuginfo?

Regards, Martin