Re: File permissions different inside and outside cygwin root

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 7:33 AM, DeTracey, Brendan wrote:
> $ touch /cygdrive/c/Temp/testfile
> $ ll /cygdrive/c/Temp/testfile
> -rw-rwxr--+ 1 detraceyb Domain Users 0 May 21 09:23 /cygdrive/c/Temp/testfile*

What you are seeing is the current behavior, some discussion is being had about
what is right to do in this situation:

I am of the opinion that if you "touch" a file, it should not be executable
under Cygwin unless you explicitly grant that permission via "chmod", "install",
etc. However some are not agreeing with this and we are left with the current
state. My current workaround for this is using "noacl" mounts when needed:

http://github.com/svnpenn/dotfiles/blob/b8ace36/fstab

This does have some drawbacks. noacl mounts will ignore any programs such as
"chmod" and "install" that modify permissions. Instead files are checked for a
shebang:

- "#!" in the case of Bash scripts
- ":" in the case of batch files

Even though it is already a good idea to use a shebang,

http://stackoverflow.com/q/25165808

using "noacl" forces the matter. Also using "noacl" I believe gives you less
control over permissions, as I am not sure how you would even do something like
setting read or write permissions.