RE: Unable to run excel via cron

Yes, I was confused, by the system32, but I still managed to do what was suggested.  Previously I was running:

	c:/Windows/System32/wscript.exe 'c:\cygwin64\home\Upar3\tst.vbs'

Then as suggested I ran:

	c:/Windows/SysWow64/wscript.exe 'c:\cygwin64\home\Upar3\tst.vbs'

Both versions of wscript.exe resulted in the same behavior - excel hung.

Denis

Kiehl, Horst wrote:

Yes, I was confused, by the system32 but I still managed to do what was suggested.

(Trying to remove TOFU to make the conversation appear chronological again and with correct attributions.)

Kertz, Denis (D)** CTR ** wrote:

> Unfortunately, using the 64-bit wscript.exe didn't change anything - same behavior as before with excel hanging.
>
> We are using 64-bit cygwin and 32-bit Excel (Excel 2007).

Although the aspect Corinna wrote about may be the culprit already,
just in case:

It appears that you, Denis, were misunderstanding Bryan. The consequence
of what he tried to point out might be that you, using 64-bit Cygwin and
32-bit Excel, would have to explicitly use the 32-bit wscript.exe
instead of the 64-bit wscript.exe, to make sure that wscript.exe
(32-bit) will start Excel (32-bit) successfully. In other words, you
might have to use $windir/SysWOW64/wscript.exe (i.e.
%windir%\SysWOW64\wscript.exe) from your 64-bit Cygwin process.

(The reason for the seemingly backwards 32-bitness and 64-bitness of
executables in SysWOW64 and system32, respectively, if viewed from a
64-bit process, is to make code with hardcoded "system32", whether
compiled or interpreted, continue to work in a 64-bit context as well as
in a 32-bit context.)

Horst