Re: Cygwin date displays only GMT on Win7

On Jul  7 16:39, Siv wrote:
> Hi, I just moved to Win7 from XP and installed Cygwin :
>
> Cygwin1.dll properties :
> File Version : 1007.28.0.0
> Product Version : 1.7.28
> Date Modified : 04-02-2014
>
> $ bash --version
> GNU bash, version 4.1.10(4)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
>
> One major problem is that it is showing only GMT time.
> In the WinXP env, it used to show the same time as System time (GMT +05.30).
> But here it is only GMT and it is breaking many things.
>
> Should I change the locale setting or the LC_TIME or TZ?
> I tried setting :
> set env `locale -f en_IN.utf8`
> but cygwin says :
> Environment variable env `locale -f en_IN.utf8` not defined
> tzset: can't find matching POSIX timezone for Windows timezone "India
> standard time"

Uh oh.  Why on earth is the string returned by your machine in lower
case?!?  The default Windowes timezone name is "India Standard Time"
with upper case S and T.

The tzset application checks the value returned by the OS
case-sensitive, so, yes, it just doesn't recognize the string and fails
to set the matching POSIX timezone.

Crazy but true: After all this time it's the first report that tzset
fails because some Windows system returns timezones in different case.

I'm going to fix the tzset tool to use case-insensitve string checks.
I'm also going to upload a new Cygwin test release, 2.1.0-0.5, which
will contain the fixed tzset tool.  I'll announce it later today.
Please give it a try.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat