Re: TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.1.0-0.4

On Jul 5, 2015, at 3:34 PM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> ...RLIMIT_STACK...RLIM_INFINITY.

This should fix the Emacs crash you reference later in this message without rebuilding Emacs, right?

Iâm not an Emacs user, as you know, but is there an STC for the Emacsizens to try on their systems?

> - New API sigaltstack, plus definitions for SA_ONSTACK, SS_ONSTACK, SS_DISABLE,
>  MINSIGSTKSZ, SIGSTKSZ.

Since these were entirely missing before, this canât be tested without rebuilding software, right?  When rebuilt, existing Cygwin packages may discover the new APIs via autoconf or similar.

A search for "sigaltstackâ on code.openhub.net found only 95 projects with this string in their source code, almost entirely consisting of *receivers* of that call, such as NetBSD, glibc, and a bunch of Linux forks.

Of those projects that I didnât recognize as a receiver of these API calls, I didnât recognize any as existing Cygwin user-space packages.

So, is it simply the case that the only people who will care to test this are those who already know theyâre trying to call this, and need it to work?

> - New API: sethostname.

For what itâs worth, that gave a pretty similar result set: lots of OSes and low-level infrastructure, few user-space packages.

> - Enable non-SA_RESTART behaviour on threads other than main thread.
>  Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-06/msg00260.html

Nice fix for an obscure problem.

And thanks for providing references, so that those like me who didnât pay attention to the original thread can catch up and see why we care about these fixes. :)