Re: X: Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified

On 06/08/2015 17:56, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
I've upgraded my setup yesterday and ran into a problem running the X
server. X ran just fine before the upgrade, just like any X client I
threw at it. I'm aware that some defaults have changed in the couple of
months since I upgraded, and I hope I've done everything the FAQ
recommends to accommodate these changes. However, no joy.

Starting the X server now is noticeably slower, regardless of how I
start it (Windows start menu, startx, or my hitherto preferred method
startxwin). Biggest problem though is that local X clients cannot
connect. The server output is like this:

$ startxwin /usr/bin/xterm
xauth:  file /home/markus.hoenicka/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth:  file /home/markus.hoenicka/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth:  file /home/markus.hoenicka/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth:  file /home/markus.hoenicka/.Xauthority does not exist

startxwin is just a shell script (based on the standard startx), which invokes xauth to add an authorization cookie to ~/Xauthority (which is also passed to the server using the -auth option)

The file ~/.Xauthority is created during startup, and it is empty
after the server shuts down. It does not make any difference if I
remove the empty file before restarting the X server.

It should have some (binary) content while the server is running, but that seems to be failing to happen, for some reason.

As a workaround I can start XWin manually like this:
/usr/bin/XWin :0 -multiwindow

This works, of course, because this doesn't use -auth.

However, I suppose the default behaviour of startx and startxwin was not
intended to perform like this. Did I miss something obvious?

Indeed.

Is there anything unusual about your home directory?

You might try modifying startxwin to remove the -q from xauth -q to see if that reveals a bit more information.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer