how to make sure subprocesses die?

Hi

When running GNU make from the cygwin bash prompt and killing it with CTRL-C, the children don't seem to be dying properly.
I have to hit CTRL-C have a dozen times to kill everything off.

Could anyone give me some clues about where to look to solve this?

I'm actually hoping that fixing this simpler case will solve the similar problem we have with runaway jobs not dying
properly on our LibreOffice tinderboxes.

Thanks,
    Noel Grandin