Re: how to make sure subprocesses die?

On Aug 19, 2015, at 3:09 AM, Noel Grandin <noelgrandin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2015-08-18 04:31 PM, Warren Young wrote:
>> Works for me.
>>
>> Disagree?  Provide a replicable, simple test case to show it.
>
> This is the main LibreOffice build, and it's a multi-million line codebase, so shrinking the problem is my first priority :-)

So on the one hand, you have one of the simplest real-world build systems (Exuberant Ctags’) and it works fine, and you have one of the most complicated (LO’s) and it doesn’t work as expected.

Somewhere in that vast gap is your answer.

Instead of trying to shrink LO, what happens if you build LO to completion, then touch a common header file that causes another dozen or so files to need rebuilding?  Does it recur?  What happens if that header file spans multiple subsystems within LO, vs being confined in its effects to just one subsystem?

What I’m getting at is, maybe your problem is in the way one make(1) instance spawns another, something that doesn’t happen in non-nested build systems, as with ctags.  If it all works fine when you’re only rebuilding one subsystem with a single make(1) instance, but fails with nested make(1) calls...