Re: Some programs (vi, ssh) crash when screen buffer height is big

On Aug 20, 2015, at 4:21 PM, Sous Lesquels <a9f54d2@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I continue to be unable to reproduce your symptom under Windows 10
>
> Just to confirm - you did set the params of cmd.exe one to this:
>
> Screen Buffer Size: 208w 9999h
> Window Size: 208w 69h

Oh, Iâve been assuming that it was the *length* that matters.  Iâm an old-skool kinda guy, so Iâve been keeping it to 80 columns.

After sending the window full-screen, lookee lookee:

2014/11/04 17:40:58 Ending cygwin install
    112 [main] vi 4424 C:\cygwin64\bin\vi.exe: *** fatal error - cmalloc would have returned NULL
/x: line 6:  4424 Hangup                  vi -c q /var/log/setup.log

It happened on the first run, with a 317x85 window and 9999 lines of scrollback buffer.

>> Did you use a different package mirror?
>
> Yes - I can try with the same mirror if you think that would make a
> difference.

Actually, you did the test I wanted: you proved that a different mirror gives the same results, which rules out bad packages on one rogue mirror.  The chance of two bad mirrors is exceedingly tiny, so we can assume the packages are fine, unless theyâre corrupt on sourceware, which is also unlikely.

>> Iâve also failed to reproduce your symptom under MinTTY
>
> I cannot reproduce under mintty either.

So why not run under mintty, then?  Cygwin runs better under mintty in general.